Facebook requires a Page Access Token if you want to use the data from your Facebook page, customize it and embed it on your website through SociableKIT.
For example, in Facebook Page Events Solution, a page access token is required if you want to display high quality event images, event description, maps, past events, instant sync and other useful event data.
How to get a Facebook page access token? Follow steps below. This will work only if you are an admin of the Facebook page you’re trying to get data from.
- Go to developers.facebook.com and login with your Facebook account.
2. On the upper right corner, click “My Apps” and “Add New App”.
3. On the pop up, enter your “Display Name” and “Contact Email” and click “Create App ID” button.
4. Pass the security check if it pops up.
5. Go to Graph API Explorer.
6. On the right side, click the “Facebook App” drop-down and select the app you just created.
7. Click the “User or Page” drop-down. Click “Get Page Access Token”.
8. On the pop up, click “Continue as…” button. Click “OK” button.
9. Click “User or Page” drop-down again. Under the “Page Access Token” section, click the Facebook page you want to use.
10. Copy the generated page access token on the “Access Token” field.
11. Go to Access Token Debugger. Remove the value on the input box and paste the page access token you just copied.
12. Click “Debug” button. Make sure the “App ID” says your app name. The “Type” is “Page” and the “Page ID” says the Facebook page you want to use.
13. On the bottom part, click “Extend Access Token” button. Click “Debug” button. Copy the new page access token from the input box.
14. Go to Access Token Converter.
15. Paste the page access token you just copied. Click the green button.
16. Click “Debug” button. You will see a page where “Expires” says “Never”. Copy the page access token from the input box
17. Go back to SociableKIT dashboard. Paste the access token in “Page Access Token” field. Hit the “Save Changes” button at the bottom.
18. Done! Great job!
Using the page access token, you can also make an event from another Facebook page appear on your events feed. But your page need to be a co-host of that event first. Follow this tutorial if you want to be an event co-host.
IMPORTANT: Facebook said there is a “page access token that never expires” and this is true only if:
1. You did not changed your password.
2. Your account was not affected by the recent Facebook security issues.
If you think your events feed is not syncing correctly, you need to re-enter your “page access token” so that your event images will look better, it will update every hour and it will show the past events.
Please follow our tutorial above carefully.
Let me know if you need help doing the steps above. I can walk you through each steps. Just send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and with a subject: Help – Facebook Page Access Token